Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rotoball 2010: A Global Animation Challenge

Rotoball 2010 from The Carrot Revolution on Vimeo.


DATA Di animation students Joshua Bell, Isreal Ruttenburg, James Murray-Di Salvo, Gerardo Melero, and Jose Murillo worked for several months to get their 15 second animations submitted to Rotoball 2010, a global collaboration organized by Apple Distinguished Educator David Gran from the Shanghai American School in Shanghai, China.  The Di students each entered their creative and individualistic approaches to animation which included hand drawings w/digital ink & paint, 3D w/Cinema 4D, Flash, and 3D/video compositing.

This years Rotoball project included 23 schools from 12 states and 6 countries and was shown as part of the Shanghai Student Film Festival as well as on Vimeo.com (seen above).
"I had been waiting to work on this project since the 2008 - 09 school year.  It is great to finally see it online a year later for the world to see." -James Murray-Di Salvo

"It makes me feel great to have combined elements of 2D and 3D graphics to make a short animation that would be watched by people world wide." -Jose Murillo

"It was a good experience as a whole, but what really made it amazing was the fact that I got to participate in a project with other students on a global scale." -Isreal Rutenburg

"I spent 6 weeks learning how to rotoscope in Adobe After Effects to create our 15 second segment which combines video and 3D animation.  It was nice to learn software with a specific and very special project in mind." -Gerardo Melero

"I feel proud to make my cartoon to support DATA globally and be a part of the 2010 Rotoball project." -Joshua Bell


9 comments:

  1. The skills I acquired throughout DATA helped me out to produce this short film. I was amazed on how they composed the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skills I gained throughout my years in DATA contributed to the production of a short film for this festival. My contribution is the video with the black ball using the lightsaber. He is a variation to one of my characters, named Blue Bang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was better at animation and was able to do one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Working on the Rotoball was a big challenge for me because of the amount of time we had and rotoscoping frame by frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The animation is really amazing, i have done a little bit of animation myself and i know it takes a lot of time and patience and it really came out great.I wish i had that much experience to be able to do that it is really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Roto ball challenge unfortunately I didn't participate in but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Rotoball was a very long process so good job for the ones who made it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not done any animation yet, but this looks really cool. This does take time but once its all finished it comes out awesome. Good job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at this challenge makes me look at D.A.T.A. as something much larger than just inside CCHS, it makes it seem as if it is on a global scale because now people all over the world can see what is going on here.

    ReplyDelete