Thursday, May 26, 2011

Visiting the Gnomon School of Visual FX


On May 19th, 100 incoming DATA freshmen and sophomores were treated to a special behind the scenes tour of the Gnomon School of Visual Effects in the heart of the Los Angeles film industry.

The 350 student school, known for training visual effects artists for major studios, currently occupies the Television Center. This historical L.A. building was previously the home of Technicolor from 1930-1975 and housed the color processing for films like The Wizard of OZ and Fantasia.

The tour was lead by admissions officers who are all Gnomon grads and current industry creatives. Although most students attend the school after completing post-secondary education, they are seeing an increasing amount of highly talented students being accepted directly after high school who have dynamic portfolios.


Here's some tips from Gnomon to prepare yourself now for a career as a visual effects artist later...
  1. Challenge yourself and your creativity
  2. Strengthen your ability to communicate visually through art and drawing
  3. Practice foundation skills in the arts and learn anatomy
  4. Research industry trends online 
  5. Watch behind the scenes footage about CG films
  6. Work hard and BE PASSIONATE!

Learn more about jobs in the visual effects industry @

22 comments:

  1. Oh man I really am into this kind of stuff and this kind of art. I actually want to do some stuff like this in the future. There are really unique pieces of art in these pictures that I would like to see more of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work that the students are doing at Gnomon is really amazing. The amount of detail that they use is really breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! These kids are real lucky to have gone to one of these and grasp the creativity of Visual Effects and modeling. Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gnomon School is another event I had to miss out, But by looking at the pictures I can tell that it was an extrodenery experience. The kids who went are very lucky and should remember that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't go on this trip, but I love that DATA gives us so many opportunities to explore schools, colleges and universities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't go on this trip but I wish I did. After watching the movie and seeing the pictures i really wanted to have gone. The stuff they were shown and did is right up my ally, if only I was their

    ReplyDelete
  7. Showing students the behind the scenes of how something is produced can be useful. High school kids may want to get into this type of job to encourage themselves to be a part of something big such as a movie or photoshoot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of the art was very exciting to see on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jose Estrada: The art looked beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonathan Lopez: The freshman/animation students of the DATA program are very lucky to have gone to this school. The art here is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like it was a lot of fun! i wish i could've gone to learn more about visual effects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gnomon School of Visual Effects was an amazing opportunity, unfortunately i was unable to attend. Hopefully in the upcoming years we will have students attend this very prestigious school

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even though i was not invited to this field trip, it looks like it would have been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could have gone on this field trip but was denied the oppurtunity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope we get fun field trips like this next year...

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!! these art works are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blast from the past, the art at Gnomon looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a fun trip to an amazing school. The only thing I didn't like about it was the campus.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This trip looked like fun wished I've could have gone

    ReplyDelete
  20. I liked that trip. I learned a lot about animation. I want to to that school one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Viviana Gaytan: This trip looked like a lot of fun, i would've enjoyed going on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't get the opportunity to on the GNOMON trip I would've enjoyed going it looked very fun.

    ReplyDelete